Sunday, November 7, 2010

Iowa Trip

I left on Wednesday the 4th to visit Heather and Clint in Iowa...to help them paint and move into their new house but we made time for a little site seeing and shopping, too.I came home with 83 pictures...way too many to post. I narrowed it down to these few. I flew into Omaha, Heather picked me up and we headed to the Winter Quarters Temple. It'a a beautiful little temple.
We also visited the Winter Quarters Cemetery. The monuments there are really nice. There aren't as many grave stones as I thought there would be. I'm sure a lot of the graves are unmarked. The ones that are marked are mostly unreadable. We didn't visit the museum but I enjoyed the walk through this place. Such faith these pioneers had!
LeMars, Iowa is the Ice Cream Capitol of the World( in case you didn't know) because it is the home of Well's Dairy also known as Blue Bunny Ice Cream. So, of course we had to go to the Blue Bunny Ice cream parlor/gift shop.
I have been so good about not eating any sugar but you cannot be in the ice cream capitol of the world and not eat ice cream...


Did I mention that there is a Well's Dairy/Blue Bunny Museum? It was closed while we were there and Heather and I had intended to go back but we forgot. This truck is outside the museum.
This is Well's Dairy, where Clint works...
and being the ice cream capitol of the world, one would naturally assume you would have the largest freezer in the world, which LeMars does...
Yes that's right...the entire white building you see is freezer. It is huge!!
Part of the reason for my visit was to help C & H paint and move into this cute little home. Check out Heather's blog for a room by room tour.
LeMars has an awesome memorial park that pays tribute to every war America has been in beginning with the Revolutionary War down to the Present Iraq War. It is very well done and quite impressive.
Another must visit place in LeMars is Habitue. A fun little coffee/crepe house. They have delicious crepe sandwiches...
but the best part is their crepe deserts (again my no sugar rule was abandoned). Heather had this chocolate banana hazelnut crepe,
and I had the apple crumble crepe. Both were sooo good!!
LeMars was a fun little city and I loved seeing where Heather & Clint live and meeting their friends- especially Tiffany and Ryan. It will be fun to go back, hopefully next summer with Steve and Austin and see it when it's green. Thanks for the grand suite room Heather!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks again for coming!! We LOVED having you here and are excited for when you can all come back! Thanks for helping us with everything and for sending me the pictures. Hopefully I can get them posted soon. LOVE YOU!!

    ReplyDelete