Friday, March 20, 2009

My latest project

I love to create. It is a very satisfying feeling to start with nothing but a piece of wood or yards of material and create something beautiful. Something that I have always wanted to do is learn how to quilt. Mostly the pieced together kind because that, to me is real quilting. Well, I finally decided to do it and I have been working on an americana quilt design that I found on the internet. I finally have it all pieced together and wanted to show it off. Yes, I am proud of my accomplishment thus far. I still have to pin the front, batting and back together and quilt it but here it is so far. This square is called a pieced star. The next one is called a dandy.I actually ended up making these twice because the first ones didn't come out big enough.
This is a log cabin square (I also had to do these twice.) and the next one is a starflower square.
Next we have the flag and all the sashings!
Put them all together and Tadaa!!
Having never done this before I think it is turning out pretty good. It definitely has been a slow work in progress but so far I have really enjoyed learning how quilt. I can see why quilts are so expensive...tons of hours of work goes into these! When I finish quilting it I will post a picture but don't be looking for it too soon!

5 comments:

  1. Wow - that is absolutely incredible! I definitely admire your hard work and patience because I could never sit down and do something like that. As much as you like to create, I equally like to go to the store and buy something that has already been created :) Great, great job!

    Those veggies came from the easiest recipe for baked vegetables ever:

    *6-8 large carrots, peeled
    *4-5 large potatoes, peeled and quartered (I only used three small red potatoes, since there are only two of us)
    *1 large onion, quartered
    *2-3 T oil (I use olive oil)
    *1 tsp. garlic salt/powder
    *1/2 tsp. black pepper
    *1 tsp. salt (I'm not a salt person, so I hardly add any)
    * herbs - rosemary, lemon pepper, thyme, etc. (you determine the amount. I don't use lemon pepper, and I add savory. It makes for a great combo!)

    1. Preheat oven to 400
    2. Pour oil into bottom of baking dish
    3. While placing vegetables in dish, coat with oil. Sprinkle seasonings over vegetables
    4. Bake for 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender, turning twice during baking

    This was the second time I've made these vegetables, and I added some long slices of zucchini this time (per Danny's request). It was really good. And seriously - such an easy recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh - and I just saw your comment on my post. Thanks so much for the suggestions! I'll take anything I can as long as I can avoid being sick :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is beautiful and I'm amazed that you accomplished this great feat. I still want to try it some day but am saving it for my senior years,ha ha !! Sure wish I could have been there for the girls night out. Next time I come out ,we better have one of those. Love you Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go Mom! It looks great so far and I can't wait to see it when it's all done!! I love you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey - I found you! looks great- The quilt and your cute blog page that is - I'm a new fan of your blog just for some new recipes! LeAnn

    ReplyDelete