Thursday, October 22, 2009

Swim Time!

Austin is on the Swim team for his high school (a first for him)and today was their first meet. He was a little nervous and I was nervous for him. He swan in the 50yd. Freestyle(the length of the pool and back) first and got a time of 28.82 seconds. Not bad at all for his first meet! His next event was the 200 Medley Relay. Four team members each swim 50yds. of either the Backstroke, Breaststroke, Butterfly or Freestyle. Austin swam the Butterfly....


On your mark...Go!He's the one in the top of the picture. He swam a great Butterfly, can't remember the time but he had really good form for such a hard stroke.


He is the second swimmer from the bottom in this picture, finishing the butterfly. I promise to be better with the camera next time.

His next race is the hardest race of the meet - the 500yd Freestyle! That's 20 laps or 5 football fields! I couldn't believe his Coach put him in that for his first meet. You can tell from the above picture as he is getting ready how nervous he is.

And he's off! I prayed for him the whole way! He had never swam it before. I may or may not have even gotten a little emotional because I knew how hard this was for him.
He looked so tired toward the end but he made it! His time was 7:48 minutes. Not bad for a first time.
It took him a while to catch his breath and get out of the pool after he finished. His next race was almost right after this one. The 200yd Freestyle Medley - 4 team members each swim 50yds of Freestyle. Here he is waiting for his turn. He swam anchor (last). They placed fouth in their heat.
Over all he had a pretty good first meet and it was fun to watch. His goal now is to beat the times he made today. I like swimming because you are really only in competition with yourself. It's all about improving your personal best each time you swim.







3 comments:

  1. These pictures are great! Watching swimming is a lot of fun, and it can be pretty intense too. Good for Austin!

    Also, the bluetooth wasn't on our wish list. Danny just bought one for me because he wanted me to have one when I drive (which is funny because we carpool to work, so now I drive practically nowhere). But with the cell phone law in Utah, I needed to have a hands-free device. I have yet to try it out on the road, but I'll let you know how it goes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! Yeah , Austin Keep up the good work. Love Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow-that sounds really intense! I'm glad he survived. Are all his meets during the week? I'd be cool to come watch sometime if we could. Tell him great job!

    P.S. I'm glad you bought Austin the long speedo instead of the bikini style one. Those are gross.

    ReplyDelete