Sunday, April 5, 2009

Birthday Celebration

Heather's Birthday is Tuesday but we celebrated today because everyone is here for conference weekend. As tradition goes, whenever anyone in the family has a birthday, they get to pick what they want for a birthday dinner and desert and I will make it. Heather chose ( with a little help from me) to fondue this year for her birthday...a favorite in our family!

We always have a broth for the meat. Broths are easy to make. Just use chicken broth and add fresh garlic and whatever spices you want. I also make a cheese fondue that is to die for. Because I know there are some of you who will want it, here is the recipe-

1 lb. Swiss cheese grated

1/2 Gruyere cheese grated

3T. flour

1 tsp. nutmeg

1/2 tsp. white pepper

Combine the cheeses and toss dry ingredients in to coat.

In saucepan pour 1 1/2 c. white cooking wine and 3-4 tsp. fresh garlic. Bring to a boil and then turn down to a good simmer and add cheese handfuls at a time, stirring until cheese is melted. Add cooking wine as needed for the right consistency( it should be like a thick gravy). Transfer to fondue pot.

We had chicken, beef and mushrooms for the broth and bread, apples, carrots, broccoli and cauliflower for the cheese. As you can see we are very serious fonduers! After eating this delightsome feast, we took a break to digest it all then had a chocolate fondue for desert...YUM!
We had strawberries, bananas, fresh pineapple, apples and starburst candies for our chocolate fondue. If you have never tried starbursts this way, you are missing out!I use guittard milk chocolate chips ( I'm not sure of the spelling but it is a very good chocolate). Melt 16 0z. in the microwave while heating 3/4 c. milk in fondue pot. Add melted chocolate to milk and mix well. Then I like to add some caramel syrup in it...delicious! Just look at the look of pleasure on Clint's face Of course we can't forget the presents! I had bought Heather the shirt she is wearing early as part of her birthday gifts. We also gave her a new watch. She knew she was getting that because she was with me when I bought it at Fossil.She also got a Bath and Body lotion, bubble bath and body spray set...warm sugar vanilla, one of her favorites!
Since our posts will be very similar this weekend, I will let her blog about the other gifts she got while at our house. What a great weekend! Happy Birthday Heather. We love you!




2 comments:

  1. Oh Heather. How I love her! Happy happy birthday this week! Thank you so much for posting the recipes and telling us about the food. I'll be sure to add the recipes to my collection :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks again for everything. I love you SO much!

    ReplyDelete