Thursday, July 30, 2009

Maine Trip - Part 3

This post is filled with some random things we did and random pictures as well...just for fun!
One of the historic (at least I think so) colleges in Maine is Bowdoin College in Brunswick where I was born. Kathy suggested we go check out the museum there so we did. Across from the museum is this church....
None of us knew much about its history but old churches fascinate me and this one was beautiful inside. Take a look...One of the things I love about Maine is the old homes. Especially along the coast. They were mansions in their day...I'm sure for the wealthy but today alot of them are used as B&Bs or Inns. I took pictures of a few of them to show my few but faithful blog followers.
This one is in Sommesville and is Steve's favorite. It is hard to see it but it is quite big and in such a beautiful spot.Here is one in Bar Harbor that has been turned into an Inn. I'm sure parts were added on but still...impressive!Another one in Bar Harbor. I love the character of these homes.
There are many similar to this one, some out in the middle of nowhere. A nice "little" farmhouse.These were a couple that I would love to be able to explore. I can just imagine what treasures could be found inside! This one below was a favorite of mine...such character!This is a smaller house but...IT"S PINK! Only in Maine! You can find just about any color house in Maine. Random picture.... here's my future boat.....
I know, wishful thinking on my part but boy, wouldn't it be fun! Lot's of yachts in the Harbors but this was a big one! Another thing that is unique to Maine(at least I haven't seen it anywhere else) is Candle Pin bowling. The balls are the size of a bocce ball and the pins are skinnier and straighter. Much harder to knock down but so much fun to play.

We played one night with Jamie and Kathy. My Mom and Fred came to but just watched. There aren't very many of these alleys left anymore.This pic is blurry but I had to put it up because I was showing off my 2ND place finish in our second game. I may or may not have been using a lane with bumper pads! We had a fun time despite the weather and me being sick. Maine is a beautiful place. I loved growing up there and never get tired of visiting and spending time in some of my favorite places.

3 comments:

  1. Great pictures! You got everything from this trip posted so quickly! I REALLY want to go to Maine now. What a beautiful state! I also love old churches, so those pictures were a real treat. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though I had already seen the pictures, I loved seeing them again! I'm excited to see your book :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing trip! I loved the houses, too! I can't believe all you saw! Lots of history.

    ReplyDelete