Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Our Trip To Maine- Part 1

We have been gone the last two weeks to visit family in Maine. There are lots of pictures so sit back and enjoy! We flew into Boston and spent a couple days there first. Boston is so full of American history...we decided to walk the Freedom Trail which highlights some historical events/places. The trail is marked through the city with red brick lines and these markers. On the 4th of July 1795, Paul Revere and Samual Adams laid the cornerstone for the State House.The Park Street church is called the church of firsts...One of the 1st sunday school classes was held here,William Lloyd Garrison gave his 1st anti-slavery speech here, America's 1st radio ministry began here and the song "My Country Tis Of Thee" was 1st sung here among other firsts.The Granary Burial Ground- the victims of the Boston Massacre are buried here along with Samual Adams, John Hancock and Robert Treat Paine, all signers of the Declaration of Independence. Paul Revere is also buried here.The Old South Meeting House- the stage was set here for the Boston Tea Party.THe Old State House- Many important meetings were held here crucial to America's history. The Delcaration of Independence was first read to the people from the balcony of this building which is shown on the 2nd picture. The Bostom Massacre took place directly under the balcony.This was Paul Revere's home and a street next to it. I love that Boston still has so many original cobblestone streets and quaint little side streets.We also saw the USS Constitution- "Old Ironsides"- the battleship that fought in the war of 1812 and the monument at Bunker Hill.
Day 2 in Boston took us on a whale watching trip. I have been whale watching before but have never seen a whale but I wasn't dissapointed this time! It was absolutely amazing to see these animals in the wild! Here are just a few pictures...

Amazing,huh!! I have a lot more pics but too many to blog. After our whale watching cruise we headed into Maine. More pictures from our visit there to come!

2 comments:

  1. I definitely want to go to Boston someday. I just think places like that that have so much history are so cool. Those pictures of the whales turned out SO good! I'm so glad that you got some good ones so that I can whale watch vicariously through you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pics! I love seeing vacation pics on blogs because I get to learn about places I've never been to. I need to go to Boston for sure. So glad you're back! I was in withdrawal from the lack of posts on your blog. Ha!

    ReplyDelete