Wednesday, May 27, 2009

A Beautiful Day for a Hike

My Friend, LeAnn is in charge of girl's camp for her ward and asked me to come with her today to scope out a hike to go on when they have camp. We went up past Huntsville to the Causey Reservoir and tried out the Skull Crack Trail.
At the trailhead, ready to go!
The trail starts off following the Causey Reservoir and is a nice easy hike.
There are lots of wild flowers that were so pretty...I had to stop to get some pictures!
This last one was actually a tree with the flowers hanging upside down. The pictures don't really show how pretty they were. The trail comtinues up and around a small mountain with some moderate hills to hike up( nothing hard) and the views along the way are beautiful!
The reservoir is fed by a river which trickles down to more of a large stream at the hikes' end. I am assuming the water is from mountain runoff. This is a great picture of LeAnn with the river in the background. This is about the peak of the hike, then it descends back down to the rivers' edge.
At the end of the trail there are two fire pits and a couple of nice shady areas by a large stream. It was so peaceful there and a great place to rest after hiking. I don't know why I didn't get a picture of our hikes' end. Too busy enjoying it I guess, but here are a few more flowers that we found along the way in abundance.The whole hike round trip took us about 2 1/2 hours and was probably one of the best hikes I have been on in a while. At the beginning of the trail there is a little picnic table next to this...

You can't really tell but there is a little waterfall in the background.I highly recommend this hike! I would love to come back and canoe or kayak along here, too. We saw a few people doing that and it looked so fun! Thanks LeAnn for asking me to join you!!

3 comments:

  1. So gorgeous! I absolutely love Causey. It is such a beautiful area. I've been out there in a paddle boat, and it was heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, pretty! I definitely want to try that out sometime. In answer to your question: no, I didn't take those pictures from my field trip. I got them off the internet. I wasn't sure if we could bring cameras or not so I just didn't. It was a pretty cool place though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish I could have gone too. It looks so beautiful. What pretty flowers. Nature is so great! Love Mom

    ReplyDelete